Monday, September 13, 2010

Opossum for Christmas Dinner

I ran across a recipe for Baked Opossum with Sweet Potatoes, and I thought why not share the recipe....just in case you lost your grannies' recipe.

This week we're sharing traditions that we keep at our house, so far, we've not tried the Southern O'Possom, preferring the Southern Ham or a Turkey with a drawl. After the possum recipe I'll share what we really eat on Christmas morning.

1 opossum
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
6 red peppers chopped
4 large sweet potatoes

Clean and skin opossum, removing small sacs from small of back and under forelegs. Place opossum in 4 cups of water in saucepan; add salt, pepper, and red peppers. Simmer until pan liquid is reduced by half. Pare and slice potatoes. Combine opossum with pan liquid and potatoes in a baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about one hour or until opossum is tender, basting occasionally.

OK. I see numerous problems with having opossum for Christmas dinner at our house. 1. Who will catch opossum? 2. Who will help it meet its creator? 3. Who will skin it? 4. Who will remove those little sacs? and 5. Who will taste to see if it's tender?
Let me know if any of you have ever tasted baked possum? What meat does it resemble?

I guess we'd best stick with our tradition of Christmas brunch at the Messecar's house. Somehow we got into the habit of making our big feast at Thanksgiving and then having a fancy or unfancy brunch at Christmas. Here's one dish I always make:

Eggs in a Muffin Tin.

Spray a muffin tin with Pam
Wind around inside each muffin well one thick slice of smoked bacon
Crack one egg into each muffin well.
Puncture the yolk
Sprinkle with paprika

Bake at 350 degrees for about one hour or until yolks are set.

Enjoy! Hey, tell us about one of your family's traditions.

Or if you prefer you can get these weird Marsoupials 

 

1 comment:

Mandie said...

Ooooo, I don't know, LOL. I pride myself on being homesteaderish but I just can't bring myself to hunt, kill, skin, debag, cook, and then eat anything. I know if the world was in turmoil and my family needed to eat I would do just about anything but not now, tehe. You egg recipe sounds great to me!

Thank you for the idea of the grandkids singing the hippoppotomous song. I think we just may do that. I am sure both sets would get a big kick out of it!

I grew up in California, it sure is a beautiful state.