Friday, November 13, 2009

Freshen up our kitchens

I have some ideas for freshening up your kitchen before guests arrive, or any time.
Look in your yard for anything that can make a seasonal bouquet. A few small branches from a holly bush, pussy willows in season, whatever you find that has attractive branches or leaves will look festive in a vase.
Or splurge and purchase some flowers for a bright bouquet.
In the temperate climate where I live, camellias bloom in fall and winter, and the camellia flowers look very elegant floating in a bowl in some water.
A clear glass or Pyrex bowl can be filled with fruit for a pretty display. Pomegranates and persimmons are gorgeous red, orange and yellow in November and December and look nice in a bowl on the kitchen table.

I like to have big festive bowls of nuts in the shell, with the nutcracker in the bowl, on the kitchen table. Here at Whole Foods they sell fresh nuts in the shell and I buy pecans, walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts or filberts all year round. These are perfect healthy snacks and very welcoming in the kitchen.

1 comment:

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Mine is a small kitchen & there's a lot on the counter space. So, I try to keep things neat and clean. Also, I love to burn fragrant tarts -- cinnamon or apple are nice in the kitchen.

And please drop by my blog. I have an award for you.