Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Got a Choice? Get Wisdom!

by Brenda Nixon, speaker and co-author of A Scrapbook of Christmas Firsts

The book of James, in the Bible, is one of my favorites. I can relate to James, the writer. He was forthright, honest, candid, sincere, and I think his mouth may have occasionally offended readers. Did I say I can relate? Yep, I'm those descriptions and my honesty sometimes puts off people. I've been referred to as pushy, but I'd prefer the word assertive because, if I must, I can set limitations and boundaries. I can say "No," without guilt, although there are times I suffer
consequences from others who do not understand or agree with my answer.


In chapter 2, James writes about the sin of showing favoritism. He gives this example, "Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, 'Here's a good seat for you,' but say to the poor man, 'You stand there or Sit on the floor by my feet,' have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?" Ouch! Pretty blunt, right?

The most comforting, inspirational verse I heavily rely on is chapter 1, verse 5. Here he encourages readers to ask for wisdom and promises God will provide liberally and without fault. With daily decisions to make - and some life altering ones - I frequently ask for divine wisdom.

As a parent, I often wonder do I generously give to my children when they ask for help, and do so without a lecture or a I told you so attitude?

Here are three James facts:
  1. It's believed he was the half-brother of Jesus, having different fathers, but sharing the same mother;
  2. His readers were followers of Jesus; and
  3. His book was written around A.D. 49.
With a new year upon us, I hope you'll remember that God will always give you wisdom to make any decision. Maybe you won't recognize the wisdom (it never comes to me like a lightening bolt), but looking back you'll see you received it.

No comments: