Saturday, November 8, 2008

KISS Those Christmas Letters

Christmas cards are one thing I buy at post holiday sales each year. My Christmas letter that is included with each is fresh and new however. The secret to getting your Christmas letter read by others is to KISS it!

Keep it Simple and Sweet!

  • Keep it simple: Too many details get the reader bogged down and bored. Give them just enough to know what happened and if they really want details, they'll ask you. A picture is worth a thousand words and with all the at-hand technology we have now, you can say more with one good picture than a thousand words.

  • Keep it sweet: We all have tragedies and perils and tough times but most people don't want to dwell on that at Christmas. They have enough of their own. If you have a bit of bad news to pass along, mention it and move on. Again, people who care will respond and contact you for more detail or to share their sympathy.

On the receiving end of those Christmas letters. . .to stress-less, I save all the Christmas letters in one place and when I have time after the holidays, I read them through. That's also the time when I can respond appropriately to what I find there. I even have some friends who don't send out their Christmas letter until after the first of the year. That way they're sure to be read.

Are you a lover or hater of Christmas letters?

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I like them, especially if they are from a friend I don't usually keep up with often and if they include pictures.

Lori said...

I agree. I especially like the letters w/pictures.