Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! by Brenda Nixon

by Brenda Nixon

Remember the TV sitcom, "Gomer Pyle" starring Jim Nabors? He'd always turn his head from side-to-side, with a large "kid in the cookie jar" grin and repeat, "Surprise, suprise, suprise" when something unexpected happened.

That's what I think of when I'm able to pop a gift into someone's hand. Through the years, I've participated in my share of "Secret Pal" programs and it's always fun at the end of the period to reveal you are indeed somebody's "pal." I've also participated in oodles of giving to the needy programs or helping people at my church who needed a helping hand. The reward for me is seeing their eyes light up and joy fill their faces.

If you're wanting to surprise someone this Christmas, how about giving them a homemade gift. This will show your willingness to take time out of your busy schedule to make something as well as the thought of giving to another person with no expectation of a return gift.

I like this homemade face scrub recipe because it's easy and unusual and it saves my friends a ton of money buying the manufactured ones full of chemicals.

Sugar Face Scrub
  1. 1 1/2 Cup white sugar
  2. 2/3 Cup grapeseed oil
  3. 1 tsp Glycerin

Mix together and put in an airtight jar. Wrap with a pretty bow and give as a gift to those who love safe, natural body products.

What is a secret gift or surprise you bestowed on someone recently? Do tell . . . .

Don't forget to visit our blog hosts today and leave a comment to be entered in our Christmas Basket drawing!

http://shoutlife.com/profile_view.cfm?uid=47872

http://leahsbreadandroses.blogspot.com/

http://www.thenearsightedbookworm.blogspot.com/

http://www.janetperezeckles.com/Blog.html

7 comments:

Karla Akins said...

I'm for anything with sugar in it! Please enter me in the drawing!
Karla Akins
http://karlaakins.com

windycindy said...

Hello! I surprised my sister with a piece of pottery that she had been admiring. Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Stacy said...

This sounds great! I know of a couple of gals that would love this gift. Please also enter me into the drawing.

Thanks!
Stacy Hertz

Christine said...

My gift was not a christmas gift but a surprise none the less. Recently we were going through a life altering situation. It was really bad and my neighbors were amazing. They were my angels in disguise. So to try and repay them some of the kindness they showed me I made my neighbors wife a wedding dress for an antique doll that she had and when she saw it she loved it and it felt good to try and give a little back to her.

Anonymous said...

We made the granparents a sweatshirt with the kids handprint painted on it with their name sewn at the bottom. She loved it. My mother surprised us kids last Christmas with a quilt for each family with pictures sewn onto the patterns. The best gift ever.

Dina said...

Ohhhh, sugar, I love to bake for Chritmas. :)

apple blossom said...

Oh, I love homemade gifts. I love surprises too. I'll be really surprised if I could win the neat basket that is being given away.

ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com